Forums

Forum Home > General Chit Chat > Tolosa park submissions

Col

The Glenorchy council is asking for submissions on the repurposing of Tolosa Park once it is formally decommissioned by Taswater in 2019. Here is a rare and golden opportunity for RC boating enthusiasts (us) to have a say in favour of an RC water park. Tolosa has great picnic facilities and parkland and is big enough to support a lot of family activities as well as RC boating. I would urge everybody to add your voice to the RC facility movement and fill out their survey form. Could be another great fresh water, close by and well facilitated sailing venue for us, but won't happen if we don't ask for it. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TolosaParkDam

April 3, 2018 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark
Was thinking similar thing. ,done and fingers crossed
--
If it has sails I'm interested
April 4, 2018 at 4:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Col
Good on you Mark, this Tolosa Park is made for an RC pond and surrounding park. Thinking you could hold championships there if done right.
April 4, 2018 at 5:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LINAL KEEP / KERMIT

I DID THE TOLOSA SUBMISSION  HOPE THEY TAKE NOTE  OF THE PEOPLES WISHES AN NOT THE WOWSERS    KERMIT

April 4, 2018 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Predator
Administrator

Done, unfortunately given that they are now saying that the dam wall is non compliant (originally it was only that the water storage was not covered that was a compliance issue) it is unlikely that there will be much interest by the council in a boating pond ( which would be a great asset) but we can only try.

--

Viper Racing Tas

April 4, 2018 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Col
Thanks everyone, every little bit helps.
April 4, 2018 at 9:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PeteM

Thanks for drawing the survey to our attention. I hope GCC listens to us.

April 6, 2018 at 5:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Predator
Administrator

The following is an email I received from Brian (President MMACA) regarding the future development of Tolosa Park Dam area.

Please read Brian's email and the Council report based on the the original survey that hopefully all members filled in and then complete the new survey.  Read Results of original Survey here

The new survey only lists two options but there is a comments section at the bottom where we can still push home the idea of developing a boating pond.

Hi Mike

Have a look through this and complete the survey if you have the time. The most interesting part to me is in the summary of the previous survey where the majority of people wanted water features and activities. And there was, obviously enough people who mentioned model boats for it to be noted in the comments section.

You will note in the latest survey no mention is made of water features and while I haven’t been through the entire survey (this one) there is no mention of boats of any sort.

I know the council is very short on money but I’m of the opinion that filling in the dam until it is about a metre deep then lining it wouldn’t cost much more than filling it in completely and sowing grass on it.

The council won’t make any money from the two options they are considering but could possibly if they leave a usable lake on the park and it is absolutely certain that they will get a lot of publicity if the thing could house national and international events.

Anyway, I’m going to make a bit of noise about it both in the survey and when I contact the Mayor.

Unfortunately, I don’t know who else to send it to as The Marine Modellers don’t really exist anymore.

So apart from yourself who else could make a submission with a bit of attitude?

Regards

Brian

Sent: Monday, 6 August 2018 11:31 AM

Subject: Tolosa Park Dam Redevelopment - Follow Up Survey

Glenorchy City Council is conducting further engagement on the Tolosa Park dam redevelopment and is calling on the community to be involved by completing a survey which closes on 20th August. Click here to enter the survey, which will take 3-5 minutes to complete.

In April this year Council undertook an initial community survey regarding the decommissioning, which is necessary as the dam does not meet current safety standards and is no longer used as a drinking water source.

Since the April survey Council officers have been continuing to review the redevelopment and, considering Council’s current financial situation, looking at how Council can best meet community expectations into the future.

There are currently two options being considered with a follow up survey open for individuals and community groups to have their say on which option they prefer.

Option one is to turn the dam into an open grassed recreation space.

Option two is to fill in the dam with clean fill material and focus funding on existing open spaces.

Council staff are currently preparing a business case to go to Council’s September meeting to consider the two options for the site. Staff are examining the advantages and disadvantages of the options and community feedback is an essential component of that.

The community feedback report from the April survey and the June Council Report are both available by clicking this link, and in the Council offices or by calling 6216 6800 to request a copy.

A report from the current survey will be made available on Council’s website and in the Council offices after the September Council meeting.

--

Viper Racing Tas

August 8, 2018 at 5:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Predator
Administrator

Remember, only 6 days till the submissions close (20th August)

Dont forget to have your say re a boating pond @ Tolosa St reserve.

--

Viper Racing Tas

August 14, 2018 at 6:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.